Pages

+JMJ+
Nolite Conformari Huic Saeculo

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Altering My Use Of Social Media

In this age of the world it is very common to be helplessly connected to social media. One might even say that it has become necessary, if not unavoidable. Heck, anyone with a Gmail has access to Google+ -- Google's social network. So of course, like me, you probably use social media and most likely have an app on your phone or tablet.

As it is, I enjoy the convenience of social media apps. It makes keeping up with friends and family a breeze. It also means that I must be prepared to charge my phone by keeping an adapter at the ready. The notifications popping up really demand a lot of attention if you don't like things waiting in queue. Have I mentioned the battery usage?

The problem that come with social media mean carelessly, if not intentionally, poking a nose into every sort of textual wrestling match and backbiting that rears its ugly head at every turn. Like many who intend well I'll gladly assert a theological point, a personal opinion, or even some critique of reason when the situation calls. But at what point is all this just a mindless distraction?

So I decision to delete Facebook off of my phone and tablet.

"Oh my gosh, finally!"
"Oh geez, look who's on his soap box!"
"So what, you were usually too busy to care anyway."
"Good riddance!"

Wait, wait, I still use Facebook, but from a computer. Remember all the endless bickering on social media? Well, I do enjoy a good and well reasoned discussion. On the contrary, my life isn't what it once was. I'm married and have a family. My responsibilities have changed.

While I briefly studied for the Priesthood I didn't have time for social media. So I wasn't on, but periodically. While I studied for Meteorology for a time I didn't have a lot of time for social media, except maybe in the spare moments between classes and when I was killing time. So I wasn't always on. Now as a family man I'm on whenever I get the chance - which is sometimes.

"So you're turning into one of those people who calls cell phones 'idiot boxes' and hates social media?"

Nope. I love technology! Actually, I very much promote its integration in society as many online tools and apps have tremendous potential when it comes to productivity. I highly recommend Google Suite products for instance. Also, not every social media app is going off. Just Facebook. Google+ and Twitter will still reside on my devices, because they take up less space. Quite frankly, the only thing that would keep the Facebook app on my phone or tablet would be if the app itself didn't obliterate my battery. In comparison, Google and Twitter take up much less battery.

So that's the latest from yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment